Course Code: 006
Are you Passionate about Teaching?
Do you want to make a Difference?
Do you want to Motivate, Encourage and Guide children?
Become a Teacher!
University of St. Martin Bachelor of Education (BAE) program seeks to prepare the 21st century teaching professional by empowering the teacher to deliver the right knowledge, skills, and values that will nurture the whole child – morally, intellectually, physically, socially, and aesthetically. The BAE facilitates the creation of a new generation of candidate teachers needed to fit the educational system of the 21st century.
The BAE program is a four year Bachelor level program that falls under University of Virgin Islands (UVI) @ USM division. Students are admitted into the USM Teacher Education Program according to USM requirements before admission into the UVl@USM Teacher Education Program (TEP). The training for this new paradigm BAE differs from the former TEP in the following ways:
- Training on the core curriculum of the Elementary School of St. Maarten
- Early clinical practice of candidate teacher
- Professionalization of the candidate teacher
- 30 credit courses from UVI during year 3 & year 4
Students are admitted into the USM Teacher Education Program before admission into the UVI @USM TEP program. In order to be eligible for admission to the UVI @ USM BAE Teacher Education Program, as a candidate teacher, the student must meet all the general education requirements and the basic education requirements and tests with a minimum GPA of 2.33
- Program Length: Four (4) years
- Class Hours: Day and Evening
- Study Financing: Yes
- Unique: Guaranteed UVI and NCATE accreditation and UVI/USM certification at the end
Matriculation Requirements for the UVl@USM BAE program: Students are admitted into the USM TEP according to USM requirements before admission into the UVl@USM BAE program In order to be eligible for admission to the UVl@USM Teacher Education Program, as a candidate teacher, the following requirements need to be met:
- Pass an assessment test in:
- English, Mathematics, Geography & History (Social Studies) Nature & Technology
- Successfully pass the first year of General Education requirements at USM with a GPA of 2.33, as approved by the project "UVl@USM"
Successfully pass, with a minimum of a "C" Education courses:
EDU 100 -Theories of Learning;
EDU 108 - Early Childhood
EDU 120 -Introduction to Foundation Based Education (FBE)
EDU 150 - Elements of Literature & Children's Literature;
EDU 160 & 170 - Seminar, Portfolio & Clinical Practice
- Police record of good conduct
- Declaration of good health
- Psychological & Career Test
- Testing by a voice specialist
Visit the UVI Website
For more information on this program, visit the UVI website by clicking the link belowGo To UVI Website View Brochure
Academic Calendar and Admissions Deadlines
|Fall (August )||July 8|
|Spring (January)||November 8|
|Summer (June)||April 8|